I believe people are their own worst enemy. I'm guilty of this one. It's easy to be a prisoner in your own mind. Sometimes, I think of great ideas but systematically think of reasons why they won't work out. It's basically failure by pessimism. Setting myself up for failure. There are two kinds of people I've run into when telling them my ideas. Group one encourages me, which is much appreciated and the other group lays the realism on thick which in turn diminishes the dream. I appreciate the honestly, but I need something in between. Someone who will not just stop at encouraging me but will help me find the steps I need to take in order for it to happen. If you ever want to figure out who's a pessimist vs. optimist no need to flat out ask them. Just tell them your dreams and see how they respond. What it comes down to is ignoring all of the reasons you can't do something and avoid divulging information to those who don't believe dreams are achievable. Maybe their a pessimist because their dreams never came true. Or maybe their dreams never came true because they though of every reason why it couldn't happen. What came first, the pessimism or the dream?
I'm starting to think being a realist is destructive. We live reality everyday, our minds should venture off into a child-like state. The state you were in before you realized politics played the lead role in "The Reason You Didn't Get That Part in the Play", had your heart broken, and learned the truth about the tooth fairy. Reality only gets us so far, then what? It's just that little voice in our head holding us back from pursuing our dreams. We make up self-imposed rules that limit us. Trying your dreams out is scary as hell. No one wants to fail. But nothing worth it comes easy. Hmm I wonder what would happen if you combine hard work and dreams? Perhaps a Tim Burton movie. Or perhaps, well stay tuned because I have the guts to take my own advice.
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment